Are you disabled due to an accident at work? Know what you should do!

First of all, you should know that in Houston, Texas, you are protected if you become disabled due to an accident at work. If you have not fully recovered from your injury that is related to a work accident, you should contact our specialist lawyers on the subject, who will advise you in search of the compensation that corresponds to you by law.

What to do if you have been disabled at work?

If you are working in Houston, Texas, and have suffered a serious injury that prevents you from returning to work, you can qualify for permanent income benefits if the employer of the company where you were working has the so-called workers’ compensation insurance. If your boss or owner of the company is not attached to this insurance, you can file a claim as compensation for your serious injuries.

Even our lawyers will advise you so that you can access the benefits that the federal government grants you for disability at work. Social Security Disability Insurance and Supplemental Security Income are some of them.

Social Security Disability Insurance

This is the step where, previously established by the diagnosis of a doctor from the company where you suffered the accident, you are unable to return to work. You can qualify for these benefits if and only if you have a disability, illness or medical condition that is likely to last for at least one year, or the condition is likely to result in death if you do not stop working.

Other programs offer money to people with partial disabilities or short-term illnesses, Social Security can only admit you under the two conditions mentioned above. This program even gives money to relatives if the disability is total and permanent.

Supplemental Security Income (SSI)

It is a program attached to the administration of the federal government that provides additional income every month if you have qualified as disabled after an accident at work. The maximum monthly benefits are $750 for a single person and $1,125 for married couples, if and only if both spouses qualify.